A COMPLETE GUIDE TO BLOGGING
Have you always wanted to become a blogger or did you recently just got inspired by a blogger you came across? Are you wanting to start your own blog? Are you terrified of the competition out there that you’re hesitating to take the next step? Well, despair no longer because we’ve got you covered! Read on to understand the art of blogging and how you can become successful at it.
- 1 Picking the right topic
Successful blogging is about consistency so choose a topic you feel passionate about; something you know you can talk about endlessly. Your topic should excite you because only then will you be able to write about it in a way that’ll excite your readers too, leaving them wanting for more.
- 2. Choosing a domain name
Your domain name should be something simple and a crystal clear representation of what your blog is going to be about. Picking quirky and metaphorical names can become hard for viewers to remember which means they’re very likely to forget. You would also be wise to realize that picking your name also might pose some complications if it isn’t too common. Moreover, picking a domain that ends with ‘.com’ should be your priority but if it’s not available then ‘.net’ and ‘.me’ work as well. Just remember to not overcomplicate or overthink it.
- 3. Investing time for research
Research your topic! A 2016 analysis revealed that there are at least 130 trillion known web pages and competing against such massive competition is no easy task. So to trump the internet, you need to make sure you extensively research your topic and produce content that not only is unique but is crafted in a way that would appeal to the masses.
For this you need to keep your niche in mind and use search engines to come up with the most popular posts relating to your niche. Determine what makes those posts stand out, try to understand how much research the author has put into the post, what the writer’s professional experience is and use these popular posts as your templates in the beginning but don’t just stick to them! See if you can tweak these basic templates to come up with better and unique ones.
- 4. Tools that can make your research simpler and way faster
Ubersuggest processes large amounts of data from Google Keyword Planner and Google Suggest, and sifts through to pull the content that you need through the keywords you enter. It’s easy to use with no precondition to log in as well as time efficient.
- 5. Making your content different
Your search result will show you your niche subject concentration, now you just need to utilize it to focus on your niche from a different perspective. For example you’re thinking of starting a food blog. Most food blogs focus on writing about dishes they love but you could set yours apart by creating a food blog that focuses on finding restaurants that serve yummy keto diet dishes (since it’s all the rage nowadays), or gluten-free dishes, or a blog that caters to foodies on a budget.
Another tip to help with brainstorming is to google your niche and scroll to the bottom of the page to the ‘related searches’ part and use those options as your main focus. The possibilities are endless and creativity will be all the more rewarding.
6. Creating phenomenal content
Now mind you, your content must stand out! BuzzSumo allows you to not only filter your search to the top rated content relating to your keywords but also provides you with the mechanism to examine why and how the said content is so popular. Thus, helping you create mind-blowing content! Make sure your posts revolve around the needs of your viewership because you’re only going to have returning viewers if your content is worth their time. Furthermore, it’s essential to make sure you provide links to all your citations as that lends your work credibility which is important for returning viewers.
- 7. Increasing blog traffic
Use SEO agencies! SEO agencies help in increasing the traffic on your blog. Obviously, for someone who’s just starting out in a market with intense competition, it can get daunting to create a considerable viewer base and this is where SEO agencies come in. What they do is increase the chances of your blog showing up in the organic results of a Google or Bing search engine. This means chances of people reading your content increases manifold. For any blog to grow, it must have the backing of a strong SEO agency. So what are you waiting for? Go find that SEO agency!
- 8. Promoting your content
Wondering why your amazing content isn’t getting the amount of readership that it should? It’s because no matter how great your work is, it won’t matter if it’s not reaching the masses. There are different ways to solve this problem.
- The most effective is email sign-up. It shows that whoever is signing up is interested in your content and will lead to a greater chance of them viewing your email about your new post and thus, going through the post. But to attract them towards signing up you will need to incentivize them for example by giving them some free tips about a topic related to your blog or communicating with them to know what they want to read about. You can use ConvertKit as your email service provider.
- Another great medium is social media like Facebook or Instagram where sharing of your post by just ONE active user can make a huge difference.
- Syndication is also useful. Here you write a great blog post and find a guest site willing to publish it like Reddit, StumbleUpon and others. This way your blog post is being distributed in a wider net and exposing your blog to more people.
- Other ways include paid promotion whereby, you can advertise your blogs on various sites by paying the website owners. You can also use Sentione to monitor where and when people are most sharing your post and focus your money and energy in that specific site (be it Facebook, LinkedIn, etc) to get the most results.
- Email outreach and mentioning an influencer are also a good ways of promotion.
- Content communities can also be influential. It is good to recall though that you shouldn’t join content communities to just promote your own content because it gets annoying for the rest. Make sure you share stuff by others as well and ONLY share your best content.
- Joining a mentoring or a peer group is also beneficial because every so often when new stuff comes up, you can ask people to provide feedback and share. Last but not the least, making your content easier to share can also increase viewership.
- 9. Making an Income From Blogging
Yes, it’s possible! You can actually make money while you scribble away about your favorite stuff. Once, your blog is established, you can use GoogleAdSense to advertise on your page. Or you could sell short or long courses for example if you have a health blog, you could create a diet plan and sell that to your readers. Or if you’re a makeup artist, you could sell a guide of makeup tips of a pro. You can even promote brands by partnering with them in exchange for a fee. Similarly you could affiliate yourself with tools that you use, like Grammarly, by recommending them
- 10. Designing the blog to reflect the content
Remember to design your blog outlook to create a space that compliments your posts. The design and theme of your blog post really does matter as it adds to the quality of your post. So, be true to yourself and your posts. Once, you’ve gathered a big enough following or earned enough, you can even hire a web designer or ecommerce development company to help you update your blog and make it look even more special!
These instructions will not only get you up and started but will also give you that extra push towards success!
is a digital marketing specialist who has helped several businesses gain traffic, outperform competition and generate profitable leads. His current ventures include Progostech, Magentodevelopers.online.eLabelz, Smart Leads.ae, Progos Tech and eCig.